Chicago Says “No, Thanks!” to Geller-Spencer Hate Campaign
Way to go Chicago!
The so-called “leave Islam safely honor killing” ad campaign was cynical from head to toe given that the phenomenon of domestic abuse and infanticide is not limited to Muslim families, and that within the Muslim community, has not exceeded 12 cases from coast to coast in the US and Canada.
Geller and Spencer had paid for ads through their newly formed hate group, SIOA, pretending to care for the victims of “honor killings.” But rather than advertise a counselling service hotline or guide potential victims to actual professional help, the ads slipped in a Spencer/Geller website that bashed the Islamic faith, painted all Muslims as evil, and had absolutely nothing to do with providing safety for victims as the ad falsely suggests.
Geller and Spencer are willing to sink so low as to exploit the young female victims of domestic abuse, casting them as pawns in their rabid hate for Islam and Muslims. Worse yet, they had the audacity to think they could get away with it.
Yellow Cab is within their legal and professional rights to pull the plug on the offensive and misleading ad campaign, and while I am sure Geller and Spencer will, as usual, threaten a lawsuit to enforce their hateful ways, they have absolutely no legal recourse and will have to lick their wounds on this one.
Kudos to Chicago. I hope the rest of America follows suit. Let’s give the fraudulent “scholar” and his botox queen a good ol’ American wake up call.
From the Sydney Morning Herald:
Call to ban anti-Islam ads
Yellow Cab Chicago has requested that a fleet of taxis remove controversial anti-Islam ads.
The ads, sponsored by the group Stop of Islamization of America, appeared on 25 Chicago cabs this summer. Beside pictures of young women who were allegedly killed by their Muslim fathers for refusing an Islamic marriage, dating a non-Muslim or becoming “too Americanised” was the message: “Is your family threatening you?” The placards also displayed the web address LeaveIslamSafely.com.
Michael Levine, the CEO of Yellow Cab Chicago, said the signs were offensive to the city’s taxi drivers, an estimated half of whom are Muslim.
The ads were carried by independent Yellow Cab affiliates, Levine said in a statement. The fleet owner was paid by a company that specialises in advertising atop taxis.
When Yellow Cab learned of the placards three weeks ago, it called the advertising company and asked to have the ads removed, according to Levine. Yellow Cab was told they were taken down, but found out on Tuesday that three ads were still running atop taxis.
“They will be removed,” Levine said. “Yellow Cab does not regularly approve advertising content carried by our affiliates, but we do reserve the right to ask them to remove ads that offend either the drivers or the public.”
Although the ads appeared to offer a safe haven for young women who want to leave Islam, critics contend the signs stoked fear among passengers and passers-by about the way many of the city’s taxi drivers worship.
Pamela Geller, a leader of Stop the Islamization of America, previously told the Chicago Tribune that Muslims are increasingly taking over schools, financial institutions and the workplace. Geller said the ads were directed at “Muslims girls in trouble, living in fear of their lives, struggling to find resources to help.”
Geller, who is also one of the leaders against building the Park51 mosque near the site of the September 11 attacks in New York, could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.
The Council on American Islamic Relations considered legal action regarding the ads. It chose not to after a story in Sunday’s Chicago Tribune “shed light” on the controversy, said Ahmed Rehab, executive director of CAIR-Chicago.
“It’s long overdue,” Rehab said of the ads’ removal. “These ads are sponsored by a notoriously bigoted anti-Muslim group. It’s a classic case of false advertising.”