UK man accused Muslim man of ‘planning bombs’
A Penrith man who accused a Muslim of “planning bombs” has been given a conditional discharge because of his mental health problems.
Mitchell Tutty, 44, appeared before Carlisle Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
He had already admitted racially aggravated harassment and using threatening behaviour.
The court heard that Tutty, of no fixed abode, approached Kahel Miah as he walked towards St Michael’s Church in Penrith.
Tutty tried to take his mobile phone off him, claiming to be a policeman.
Then he said: “You’re planning something, you’re planning bombs.’
Another man saw the altercation and went to try to help Mr Miah.
The witness told police that Tutty was swearing at Mr Miah and being racially abusive.
One of the threats he heard was: “I don’t know why you’re over here. I’ll take a photo of you, I’m watching you.”
Two days after the incident, which took place on October 25, Tutty was bothering another resident.
Prosecutor Diane Jackson said he trailed Harold Harrison as he walked from Strickland Gate to the Shell garage.
Mr Harrison did not know Tutty and said he was concerned by his aggressive behaviour and attempts to strike up conversations.
Defence solicitor Geyve Walker told the court that his client was currently being treated at a psychiatric hospital, where he was making good progress.
Mr Walker asked the magistrates to give Tutty a conditional discharge so he could concentrate on rehabilitation when he was released. The bench agreed and told Tutty that as long as he did not get into trouble for the next 12 months no further action would be taken.